Assessment and Suggestions of Tether Defense and Forces

All In Character postings can be found here.

Moderator: OOC Staff

scarith
TGT Patron

Assessment and Suggestions of Tether Defense and Forces

Post by scarith »

Written in heavy parchment and posted where all could see, was an assessment of the Tether Grounds and surrounding areas as fighting points in relation to the Monster currently threatening the Tether from atop the nearby mountain, as well as suggestions for defense measures and fighting forces. Written by a dwarven hand, a copy had also been sent to Tether Management. There were extra parchments available for people to leave their thoughts below.

[OOC NOTE: Colas in no way speaks for the Tether Officially, nor am I the player directly involved in the planning of this event. This is merely my character's personal, IC efforts to solve and aid in this conflict.]

_________________________________________________________________________________

Gardens:

The gardens of the Tether provide a unique opportunity that the rest of the establishment's grounds do not for dealing with a large enemy. The area near the End of Days monument is relatively wide open, and can give a large group of experienced melee fighters the opportunity to swarm a large opponent with room to spare, though it does provide a beast plenty of room to move as well. Falling back across the bridge, the layout is flat, but has many stone walls separating different areas of the gardens that may trip up a large opponent and provide cover against more direct magical attacks by those of smaller or average stature. With the main structure of the Tether directly behind a group of fighters, there is an easy fall back point that can be bolstered against the opponent. With the trees available in this section, and the windows overlooking the gardens, there is ample vantage points to provide ranged support to the fighters directly engaging the creature, either via bows and other ranged weapons or magical attacks of our own. There is also the opportunity to fall to the beaches in an effort to hide in the hot springs, or jungles. I would only suggest this as a last resort however, if the entrance to the Tether becomes barred for whatever reason.

Beaches:

The beach is not the most advantageous place to fight, given the poor footing of sand and that this creature apparently has mastery over ice magic, a vast supply of water that can be frozen over is directly available in the ocean itself.

Jungle:

The jungle has its positives and negatives in a fight, though their severity depends on how large this creature is and if it can fly. The jungle while tough for us to navigate, would be even tougher for a larger creature. It would provide great cover to hide from its view and deliver hit and run tactics, and if we were to attempt to lure the creature from its mountain perch, going along the more established paths, what few there are, through the jungle, a small party would be.. somewhat protected in using the jungle in this manner to draw it to the main Tether to unleash an ambush, or an assault by a much larger fighting force. Or, to draw it away from the Main Tether if that is the situation we are put in.

The Main Hall:

By far, the main hall is the largest indoor area to fight a creature of any type, and is perhaps at once the most defensible and least defensible position. Against a larger creature, the main doors can be reinforced considerably and wear down the creature through its exertions to break them and hitting it with ranged attacks from upper levels of the Tether. When it should make its way inside, if much of the area was cleared of obstructions that would prevent us from moving around, a huge force of fighters of melee, ranged, magical and non-magical could be leveled against it. Reinforcements could be pulled in from all over the Tether, and the wounded could be evacuated into any place in the entire establishment. The upper balcony could easily allow any number of ranged attackers to rain hell down upon the creature once it is inside. However, these many entrances could also be used against us if the creature has minions, or is able to summon forth creatures such as ice elementals or golems to assault us from multiple fronts.

The Bar and attached Debauchery Chamber:

If the Main Hall were to be used as a primary fighting point, the Bar and attached Debauchery chamber could serve well as a secondary fall back fighting point to draw the creature to while wounded or non-combatants flee to the other parts of the Tether. It once more, has a balcony that could be used as high ground for ranged attackers, and the bar as well could be used as a source of cover for even more ranged attackers, or for those melee fighters injured in the fight to dive behind as the fight goes on. What medics there are, could use the debauchery chamber as a bastion to bring the most wounded to, if able, and tend to them. The small entryway would be difficult for a large creature to get into, while the chamber itself is vast enough to harbor many beings, as well as a multi-stage last-chance fight with its two levels. Essentially, this area would be used as a sort of diversion to evacuate the Tether, or if the battle is going well, but the Main Hall must be given up for whatever reason, then it can be used to continue the fight in hopes of defeating the creature. Unfortunately, the most glaring issue here is that the only main exit out of this area is the one entrance into the main hall.

Auction Chamber, Golden Moon, Library, and Ballroom/Event Rooms:

These areas are best suited as refugee points, to bring the bulk of the Tether population to and reinforce as greatly as possible against being assaulted and broken into. With their smaller entryways, they would be tough for the creature to break into without taking down the entire walls that hold the structure of the Tether up. And if it is able to do that, then there is very few places aside from the areas of the Tether carved into the stone itself that would be safe.

Underhall:

This area is quite unique as well. With the cages inside, it could greatly hinder the beast's movement and allow a much smaller force to engage it rather well. It could also be trapped in here, collapsing or blockading the entrance from the docks, while most of us could slip in and out of the Underhall through the various other areas it is tied to. However, it also suffers from the side effect that if this creature has minions or other allies it can summon forth, they could use the underhall to attack from beneath us, especially from the sewers if they find their way in from there.

Sewers:

Through personal inspection, I value the sewers quite highly, as they provide a sheltered path between the infirmary and the underhall. Medics can safely move patients and supplies back and forth before, during, and after the battle by utilizing the Sewers.

Docks and Arena:

Unless our intention is to try to plunge it into the sea by collapsing the docks and entrapping it with all the debris, or have a very small group of fighters fight the creature in a tight area, I would highly suggest fighting in these areas whatsoever.

Personal Suggestions for Location Preparation:

I would personally chose either the Main Hall or Gardens to be the site of the battle to come if possible. Drawing the creature to either area allows us to bring the most force to bear upon it at once, and if drawn to the Gardens first, we may seal the entrance to the gardens and fall back and possibly force it to come against what would hopefully be the Reinforced Main Doors of the Tether. If possible, the rooms that I have listed as possible havens for the general populace should be converted to handle a mass surplus of people, with food stocks, clean water, and great deal of materials to start and keep flames going to provide warmth against the inevitable onslaught of ice magic it may level at us.

Suggestions for assembly of Fighting Forces:

What we are facing is likely a large creature of considerable magical strength, primarily in ice magic, and possibly considerable physical strength. We need to assemble not just a jumble of patrons to react in random efforts like we did with the Ice Mage that came to the Main Hall the other night. This is a larger threat, and should be met with an organized effort, or at least an understanding of who can bring what to the fight so that we may either organize an assault upon the mountain top, draw the creature here, or meet the creature's attack if it comes for us first. As such, I suggest compiling information on whom can fill the following roles, or have such abilities, so that one of these efforts, or all of them, can be organized more efficiently:
*Ranged Attackers: either magical, or with conventional weapons such as bows, crossbows, cannons, or other such weapons.
*Melee Fighters: Those of considerable strength, vast martial prowess, or simply those that can take a beating and keep fighting. Likely candidates being any former soldiers, tether guards, arena fighters and champions. If there are any with and experienced using enchanted weapons of flame, I would seek them out.
*Medics: Any and all with healing knowledge of any sort, from mundane medicinal herbs, to surgeons, and magical healers.
*Mages of Flame, Ice, and Protective Spell Casting: Those with any sort magical ability in the use of flame would be perhaps the greatest offensive we have against this creature. On the opposite side, those of prowess in ice magic may be able to aid those that can erect general barriers and wards in fending off the magic of this creature.

Defense and Organization of Non-Combatants:

The guards of the Tether will be stretched far in their duties as it is, fighting against this creature, protecting patrons and slaves, and much more. As such, I would advise looking for volunteers to be group organizers, essentially those that can keep the attentions of many individuals in chaotic situations and keep them from fully panicking, and make sure that supplies of all sorts are divided up equally, in relation to status. As for their defense, the best protection for them will of course be those fighting the creature head on, but keeping a few experienced guards with each group of non-combatants would be at the very least, a chance for non-combatants to flee if the fighting spills over to them.

Personal Notes:

This bloody arse has wrecked half the isle that i've come to enjoy quite a lot. And it bloody well sounds like a hell of a fight. I'm going to make sure to help ye all as much as I can in defending yerselves, but if any of ye have fought alongside me so far, ye know i'm itching for a fight! The most sensible effort is shoring up our defenses, and then making the creature fight on our terms, either by making it come to us, or being ready for when it does. But, personally? I don't want to wait, i'm ready to go clobbering this thing and show it why The Golden Tether is considered a force to be reckoned with! Anyone that wants to talk about a hunting party, find me. But, to all of the Tether:

Ye all threw off a stone blasted Drakkorian Invasion Fleet for stone's sake. Lived through a massive event that may as well have been another eruption of that there volcano in the End of Days. One fucking creature, sentient or not, with magic enough to plunge the island into frozen hell? For fucks sake, we just ended a blasted ice mage and her amulet that already did that. Whatever ye all do, screw being scared, LET'S KICK IT'S ARSE!

Colas Siegebreaker

(Players may also whisper Colas Siegebreaker on Furcadia in relation to setting up rp of hunting down the creature, creation of personal defenses/wards (he is a rune smith), or other rp/questions.)